“A virtual baby shower?” you may ask. Yes! There is such a thing, and for some expecting parents, hosting a web-based baby shower just might be a perfect idea! With the increasing social media and Internet use in daily life, it isn’t a surprise that people are turning to the web for a modern spin on a classic tradition.
Why a Virtual Baby Shower?
It’s a virtual world out there! So many people do so much communication via social media sites, blogs and video chat, that it is not a surprise this concept is gaining in popularity. They are ideal for several situations:
Expecting Parents live Far Away
Perhaps the mom- and dad-to-be have recently moved far away from their friends and family. Maybe, they have even moved to another country for military service or work purposes. In these cases, it may not be feasible for guests to attend a shower in person. But an online shower is a perfect way to accommodate distance and still celebrate the coming bundle of joy!
An online shower is an easy way for moms who are on bed rest to enjoy guests and festivities without compromising their health or their baby’s health.
A Complement to a Traditional Shower
So grandma or your favorite cousin can’t come to the shower? No problem! Just set up a virtual shower and let them connect to watch the festivities and interact with guests. Online guests can still be a part of the fun celebration, and can even play some of the games, right along with those that are there in person.
How Does a Virtual Shower Work?
There are quite a few options for a virtual shower. You can use most any video chat tool, including those on social media, Skype, Google+ Hangouts, FaceTime, GoToMeeting etc., to host. Or, you could host a fun Facebook baby shower – check out Divine Caroline’s online baby shower tips!
In addition, virtual baby shower hosting sites are popping up. Web Baby Shower and others offer advertisement-free, dedicated site for your shower.
If Video doesn’t work for you, you could even host a twitter party or blog your shower, posting photos of gifts, etc., as you go. There really are no set rules for a virtual web shower – you can go wild, as long as you organize it well. Read some interesting virtual shower ideas from The Stir.
Tips for a Fun and Memorable Virtual Shower
Organization, organization, organization. The key is to make sure everything is set up, all attendees have signed up (they may need to create an account for a service they haven’t used before) or know how to sign in to the shower at a specific date and time.
You might consider keeping the shower small or doing a few separate virtual showers that involve just work friends, just family or just friends to keep it from getting too overwhelming. Here are a few other tips:
- Designate an Online Organizer, just you as you would a host for a traditional baby shower, to set up the event and handle the logistics. The mom-to-be should only be told when to sign in (you can even keep the guests a secret if you want a surprise party feel).
- The organizer can send fun online invitations to ensure all people know exactly when to sign in.
- Theme: Anything you want it to be. It will just be on the guests to make sure they participate. Maybe you want a baby boy-themed party – make sure to let everyone know they should dress in blue or have blue balloons for a video backdrop. You get the idea!
- Have the mom-to-be register online to make it easy to shop for gifts.
- Give guests a deadline for when the gifts must arrive at the mom-to-be’s home. This way, she can open them during the online baby shower!
- Games! Yes, you can still play games (and without having to taste baby food!). You can even come up with prizes if you would like – online gift cards are an easy way to go. Try out trivia games where people submit answers via chat or private message. People can also submit photos of themselves as babies and try to match them up to current pictures. The games you can play are only limited by your imagination!