By Melissa Chambers
When it comes to baby showers, I always consider creating custom décor pieces. Creating custom pieces for a little special boy or girl not only fills mom’s heart with joy, but yours, too. This custom baby shower gift idea can also be proudly displayed at the shower. I think it would look fantastic displayed by the photo booth/prop area. It’s not only a great gift but a décor piece that your baby shower guests can take photos with and admire, as well.
Prepping for the nursery can be overwhelming for mom and this is why it’s so important to try and help in any way you can! Take advantage of this opportunity to help out by creating a one-of-a-kind gift. This project isn’t difficult; it just requires a little time and patience. The parents to be will be overjoyed when you surprise them with this mobile!
Supplies: small plastic dinosaurs, spray paint, clear string (optional), mini circle hooks, hammer, embroidery hoop, thin string and scissors
How-to: For this mobile, 21 dinosaurs were used and 2 colors of spray paint.
- Attach mini circle hooks to the tops of each dinosaur, you might have to use a hammer to start the process and finish by twisting them down into place.
- Now you’re ready to spray paint your dinos! I highly recommend placing the dinosaurs on a clear string hanging from one chair to another as pictured to allow you to completely cover the dino in spray paint in one shot without multiple touch-ups required. Allow plenty of dry time; I allowed 48 hours to be safe.
- Prep your embroidery hoop. You’ll only be using the outer portion of a standard embroidery hoop. Spray paint, if desired, and allow for drying, which should only take a few short hours. Attach string to the top of your embroidery hoop making 3 strands that come together at the top. Tie off the top in a knot so that the mom-to-be can easily slide it onto a small ceiling hook in the nursery.
- It’s time to add the dinosaurs! Using the same string from the top portion of the mobile, cut strings to hang the dinos with; to make things easy cut each string to the same length and cut longer than you think required to be safe. String each dinosaur by its mini circle hook. Hang the top portion of the mobile to a hook (or item of choice as this is just temporary) to allow you to add the dinosaurs easily. I put a hook in our lowest ceiling point in the house to give me room to apply the dinos properly. Hang the dinosaurs at different lengths ignoring excess string. You’ll want to hang a dinosaur on one side, then move to the other side to add the next to balance the hoop while you work. Once you’ve hung all the pieces, go back and trim up the excess string.
- Remove the completed mobile from the hook (or however you hung it to add the dinosaurs) and package with care for the mom to be or display at the baby shower.